Sandboxie Plus & Classic （1.12.4 / 5.67.4）
Sandboxie is a sandbox-based isolation software for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows NT-based operating systems. It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying local & mapped drives or the Windows registry. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.
Sandboxie allows you to create virtually unlimited sandboxes and run them alone or simultaneously to isolate programs from the host and each other, while also allowing you to run as many programs simultaneously in a single box as you wish.
Sandboxie is available in two editions, Plus and Classic. They both share the same core components, this means they have the same level of security and compatibility. What’s different is the availability of features in the user interface.
Sandboxie Plus has a modern Qt-based UI, which supports all new features that have been added since the project went open source:
- Snapshot Manager – takes a copy of any box in order to be restored when needed
- Maintenance mode – allows to uninstall/install/start/stop Sandboxie driver and service when needed
- Portable mode – you can run the installer and choose to extract all files to a directory
- Additional UI options to block access to Windows components like printer spooler and clipboard
- More customization options for Start/Run and Internet access restrictions
- Privacy mode sandboxes that protect user data from illegitimate access
- Security enhanced sandboxes that restrict the availability of syscalls and endpoints
- Global hotkey to terminate all boxed processes
- A network firewall per sandbox which supports Windows Filtering Platform (WFP)
- The list of sandboxes can be searched with the shortcut key Ctrl+F
- A search function for Global Settings and Sandbox Options
- Ability to import/export sandboxes to and from 7z files
- Integration of sandboxes into the Windows Start menu
- A browser compatibility wizard to create templates for unsupported browsers
- Vintage View mode to reproduce the graphical appearance of Sandboxie Control
- A troubleshooting wizard to assist users with their problems
- An Add-on manager to extend or add functionality via additional components
Sandboxie is available in two flavors Plus and Classic. Both have the same core components, this means they have the same level of security and compatibility. Whats different is the user interface the Plus build has a modern Qt based UI which supports all new features that have been added since the project went open source. The Classic build has the old no longer developed MFC based UI, hence it lacks support for modern features, these features can however still be used when manually configured in the Sandboxie.ini Usually you can pick between the last Stable Build, recommended for everyday use, and the newest Preview Build if you want to try out newest features or are trying to resolve a incompatibility.
Stable Builds 2024.1.3